March 4, 2010

Hypnobabies Week 2

This second week was a lot of information. It was all about staying low-risk, which will help keep interventions from having to happen come time for birth. This is especially important for me to keep pre-term labor from happening as well. The week's materials included exercises to do, foods to eat, and things to avoid. The main thing I got was to eat PROTEIN! Lots and lots of protein. Protein is required to build cells, it also helps keep the placenta healthy. And I should be eating eggs everyday. That is a great thing, since I LOVE eggs. It also talked about how important Calcium and Iron is. That is interesting about calcium, because I so craved milk w/ my first pregnancy. I drank 2 gallons a week in the last trimester. Milk is an excellent source of both protein and calcium. I guess there was a reason for craving it!

The hypnosis part of this week is learning to put myself into hypnosis w/ a skill called the "finger-drop technique." I am creating a light switch to turn my muscle functions on and off. So I am working hard at learning to turn my body off...meaning COMPLETELY relaxed.

A crappy note is I talked w/ Dr. Brown at last week's appointment. It seems like I will be required to deliver on an operating table. I have accepted the fact that I will need to be in the operating room, but I was really hoping for the freedom to assume a position that felt most comfortable. I was at least hoping for a birthing bed...not a cold narrow metal table. Dr. Brown said he wishes hospitals would allow moms to deliver NEXT to the operating room. He said a woman who comes in healthy with babies in a favorable position has such a minute risk of needing a c-section, that it is too bad that hospitals are so unfriendly to twin mothers. At least I know that he is on my side. And it's nice to know this now...so I can mentally prepare for it.

I may look into petitioning patient affairs to see if I could either have a birthing bed, or be allowed to push in a position comfortable to me. Mary Anne, my doula, is asking around to see what hospital protocols are and to see if she can get more information on the best route we should take. I am still hoping Dr. Brown will get his rights to the other hospital. I think that hospital might be a little more friendly to me.

I have decided on the treats for my labor and delivery nurses. After talking to some friends who are L&D nurses, I think I will bring bagels, cream cheese, coffee, hot cocoa, and teas for the staff. When you are requesting so much rule bending, it doesn't hurt to get on the nurses' good sides! Other than the cream cheese, we can buy everything else ahead of time so they will be ready to go to the hospital.

I am still feeling great. I have had a couple of dizzy moments where I needed to sit down. Both times that happened, I was in need of some food. Once I got some good solid food in me and a bunch of water, I was feeling fine.

We have another formal ultrasound next friday, so expect a report after then!